Thrive is currently looking for a new Development Director. Please see the job descriptions below if you are interested either position.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to: HR@thrivedc.org. No calls please.
Please also consider volunteering with us. It’s a great way to become familiar with what we do and who we serve, and gain valuable experience for the next employment opportunity!
The Development Director is responsible for creating the overall vision and strategy for the growth of annual revenue and managing all development efforts undertaken by Thrive DC. This individual will lead a strategic program to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward a diversified base of funding sources and donors to expand support for the organization. The Development Director will ensure that these efforts will be integrated with and supported by Thrive DC’s marketing efforts, volunteer program, and community outreach and education.
Job Title: Development Director
Hours: 40 hrs/week, 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Exempt; Full-time
- Qualifications (required): Bachelor’s degree; 5 or more (cumulative) years of development and nonprofit experience. Knowledge of fundraising strategy; strong experience with major gifts, corporate, foundation, and individual donor fundraising; experience coordinating special events; capitol campaigns, experience with individual donor solicitation; excellent grant writing skills. Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills. Positive interpersonal skills; strong work ethic, independent motivation, and ability to work as part of a team; enthusiasm, sense of humor, creativity, flexibility, and patience.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, sometimes frenzied setting; ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and adapt to changing environment. Strong communication, and writing skills; detail-oriented with good organizational skills a must. Ability to set priorities, exercise good judgment, manage important relationships, and provide timely and concise information to coworkers. Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.).
Additional skills and experience (highly desirable): Demonstrated interest in the not-for-profit sector and strong interest in development, social justice, and Thrive DC’s mission. Knowledge of database management, graphic design, and/or website design experience a plus.
- Create and execute fundraising plan that aligns with strategic objectives set by the Board of Directors and increases revenue from corporate, government, foundation, religious, community, and individual source
- Act as development liaison with the Executive Director and Development Committee to ensure that organizational fundraising, marketing, and communications goals are being met
- Coordinate with Executive Director, Director of Social Services, and other relevant staff to develop appropriate budgets and fundraising targets, plan new program initiatives, and ensure the development and maintenance of regular program evaluation, financial accountability and transparency, and other items critical to organization’s development efforts
- Supervise Community Relations and Volunteer Coordinator and Supervise Development Associate , interns, and Department volunteers.
- Manage Thrive DC’s foundation relations program, identifying and researching new foundations and grant opportunities, developing and writing proposals, cultivating grant-maker relationships, and preparing associated reports, acknowledgements, and schedules
- Manage Thrive DC’s individual and corporate donor program to create a solid base of committed donors, creating a comprehensive plan that integrates direct mail, prospect research, major donor cultivation, fundraising events, and community outreach Manage public and government funding, including identify new public funding prospects, developing proposals, cultivating public and community relationships, and preparing associated reports.
- Build and manage relationships with prospective donors and will be expected to identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit and steward these very important donors and friends of the organization. Strengthen fundraising infrastructure, ensuring that donor, volunteer and activity records are complete and accurate both in the paper files and database
- Create and manage the data needed to assess and inform fundraising efforts and targets, including designing and running reports from database to analyze data
- Create, integrate and implement short, intermediate and long-term individual major gifts and private foundation major gift donor strategies with the Executive Director.
- Work with Executive Director to develop and implement the fundraising elements of the strategic plan including the development of a Capitol Campaign strategy and work plan
Volunteer & Community Outreach
- Provide vision and leadership on all volunteer, community outreach, marketing, and public relations activities
- Provide leadership for the management of media relations and serve as a public representative of Thrive DC to current and prospective supporters, donors, and the general public
- Oversee meaningful relationships with corporations, community groups, and religious organizations so that they are involved and giving to Thrive DC in a variety of capacities
- Manage the creation and implementation of Thrive DC’s standard messaging, for use in organizational publications as well as in external communications
- Oversee the development, design, and production of organizational communications, publications, and mailings, including brochures, monthly e-newsletters, and quarterly print newsletters
- Manage the content and design of Thrive DC web pages so that they further organizational objectives
Take initiative and work independently
- Have the ability and willingness to do occasional physical labor including lifting, carrying, cleaning, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Please send cover letter, resume, and three references to: HR@thrivedc.org. No calls please.