Volunteer with the Homeless
The emergency support that Thrive DC provides offers hope to our clients when they need it the most. We serve over 250 men and women each day, and couldn’t do it without thousands of volunteers each year.
For any questions about volunteering or getting involved, please talk to our Volunteer Coordinator at (202) 503-1533 or [email protected].
The opportunities below require a brief orientation prior to volunteering. To sign up for an orientation click here!
Serve Breakfast to the Homeless
- Monday – Friday, 7:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Help prepare and serve breakfast to 150 – 200 people
- Oversee schedule for laundry and shower services
- Pass out daily needed hygiene supplies to clients
- Perfect for groups of 6 – 12
Serve Dinner to Homeless and Low-income Women
- Monday – Friday, 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
- Help prepare and serve dinner to 30 – 60 women and children
- Organize activities and lead games
- Assist Program Coordinator with evening activities
- Perfect for individuals, with a commitment of at least 1 day a week for 2 months
Lead Employment Workshops
Tuesdays & Thursdays from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM (weekly commitment)
- Assist clients one-on-one with job applications, looking for work online, and developing cover letters and resumes
Wednesdays from 1:00 PM – 3:00 PM (once a month commitment), volunteers will help lead one of the foundational workshops below. This opportunity is perfect for a volunteer with work experience who wants to help our clients have a fair chance at employment.
- Employment Goals: Great Expectations
- Effective Resume and Cover Letter Writing
- Interviewing Skills
- Workplace Communication
- Job Searching Techniques
- Financial Planning and Money Management
- Mock Interview
Just as much as we need your help on the program floor, we need your help in our office to keep things running smoothly. If you have a flexible schedule, and can volunteer between 10 AM and 5 PM, please consider one of the below opportunities!
- Front Desk Support – Greet clients as they walk through the door, help them find the right case manager, answer the phone, and check mail for clients, etc. This is a big relief to our staff, and is available in shifts of 2 – 4 hours.
- Sorting Mail – This is our most time consuming task, and an easy way to make a big impact every time you come. More than 600 homeless and low-income individuals rely on Thrive DC for mail services, and it takes us a lot of time process that! The more you can help us with this, the more time we can spend one on one with clients.
- Data Entry – If you have experience with databases and can help us with entering data into the computer, this is the job for you!
If you are interested in any of the opportunities above, but would like more information, you can reach the Volunteer Coordinator at [email protected].
Volunteer Orientation Required
The opportunities above require a brief orientation prior to volunteering, to go over what the programs are like, how to best interact with clients, and to walk through your first day of volunteering. To sign up for an orientation click here!